THE NARRATIVE AND POLITICAL CORRECTNESS


Threats to freedom of speech, writing and action, though often trivial in isolation, are cumulative in their effect and, unless checked, lead to a general disrespect for the rights of the citizen. -George Orwell

Thursday, December 25, 2014

MOIRA'S TOP 10 "MODERN" CHRISTMAS SONGS

 photo b5718877-7d9c-46a4-8828-7633360980fe_zpsbb1c8ec3.jpg

I was annoyed beyond belief with the shocking WatchMojo list and so I decided to make my own list of "modern" Christmas songs. Obviously there is some overlap but I was appalled at some of the songs included in their list, especially considering some of the great songs left out. This is just me setting things right.

Truth be told, there really isn't much separating the songs on my list as I love them all for a variety of reasons. Christmas is a multifaceted holiday that blends the religious with the secular, pensive sentimentality with joyous exuberance. 

These songs deal with one or more of the various cultural aspects of Christmas. Some of them are no doubt politically incorrect according to LWNJs - why does the "girl" child get a doll while the "boy" child gets a guitar? Some are very simple while others are complicated and open to interpretation. Most of them have the power to put a smile on your face or bring wee tears to your eyes, as my mom would say. At least that's how it is with me. So enjoy them and...Merry Christmas!

10.  Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time

9.    Run Run Rudolph

8.    Jingle Bell Rock

7.    Feliz Navidad

6.    Father Christmas

5.    Please Come Home For Christmas

4.    All I Want For Christmas Is You

3.    Where Are You, Christmas?

2.    I Believe In Father Christmas

1.    Fairytale of New York

 photo ee0204f8-cd0e-4863-b100-a62814ba1cd2_zpse8c4bb8b.jpg

2 comments:

  1. @Billpwr1 - In a word EXCELLENT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moira, enjoyed your list. Another version of All I Want for Xmas is You ,by Vince Vance and the Valiants done in 93. Better than Mariah. Also, a very new one, Kira Isabella, I Want A Country Boy Under by Xmas Tree done this year. Two great songs but your list is excellent.

    ReplyDelete