THE NARRATIVE AND POLITICAL CORRECTNESS


Threats to freedom of speech, writing and action, though often trivial in isolation, are cumulative in their effect and, unless checked, lead to a general disrespect for the rights of the citizen. -George Orwell

Sunday, September 7, 2014

RED EYE - AUGUST 22, 2014 FULL EPISODE



Jedediah Bila hosts and welcomes guests Bonnie McFarlane and Ellison Barber.

Hey, ladies — catcalls are flattering. Deal with it!
Summer to me means three things: heat, hemlines and hard hats.
It's the time of year when I can parade around in a skimpy dress with strategic cutouts that would make my mom wince.
And when I know I'm looking good, I brazenly walk past a construction site, anticipating that whistle and "Hey, mama!" catcall. Works every time - my ego and I can't fit through the door!
I'll never forget my first time: At age 20, interning at MTV in Times Square and taking advantage of the company's liberal summer dress policy, I was wearing a tightly molded pink tank top and black capris when I strolled by two construction guys on a lunch break.
"You're hot!" they shouted, high-fiving one another.
I was over the moon. What a contrast from those coy college boys who never expressed how they felt. This was a brave new world, where guys tell it like they see it.
Now, a decade later, I still get that butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling whenever I walk past a construction stronghold. I've learned that it's not what you wear - the skimpy sundresses, the sky-high heels - but how. Walking confidently past a mass of men, making eye contact and flashing a smile shows you as you are: self-possessed and playful. The wolf whistles that follow will send your ego soaring.
I realize most women with healthy self-confidence don't court unwanted male attention. In fact, most women seem to hate it...
Also read: No, Catcalling Is Definitely Not Flattery

No comments:

Post a Comment